Thursday, June 08, 2006

Monty's Guest House Ampara

The view from my balcony at Monty's GH Ampara, I sit and watch the chipmonks run about in the trees, very peaceful.
I will eventually get a good photo of these carts! By the time I have stopped the motorbike got my camera out of my rucksack, taken my helmet off, switched the camera on, they have arrived and passed by. I obviously think they are slower than they really are. They travel at set times of the day going to and from the paddy fields.
The FCE office at Nintavur, the Ampara office is closing and this will then be the main office for Ampara District.
To give you some idea of how flat it is between Ampara and the coast, this is looking east about ten kilometres from Nintavur. There are paddy fields on both sides of the road and the area evidently produces 24% of the rice in Sri Lanka. The photo doesn't really do justice to the variety of greens, rich and lush colours. I didn't deliberately get an INGO vehicle in the picture, they travel this road a lot.
The balcony at Monty's GH, where I sit in the shade and read, work on the lap top, listen to the BBC world service or just watch nature. The jungle is always active, never still or uneventful. The mozzies are a bloody nuisance though. There is a table I use, don't know where it was when I took this photo.