Saturday, June 10, 2006

World Cup starts

Saturday morning, I watched the opening world cup game last night, about twenty five of us, some Germans so it was fun, especially when Costa Rica scored. Been down town and bought a pair of trousers for work, dark blue, hope that hides the dirt! They were a bit long so went to a tailor, they have shops along the street here, and he did the alterations there and then, stopped what he was doing, measured me, cut and hemmed the trousers, 40 rupees-20p. There is a wedding here in hotel at the moment, music so loud can’t hear BBC world service. I am sitting on the balcony outside my hotel room. Usually a peaceful place to be.


Out till 3am last night, watched the England game at the GOAL house, which was dire, the match that is, then Chinese restaurant with friends. I found out that GOAL isn’t an abbreviation, must be the only INGO with a name not an abbreviation. Anyway we headed for Bill’s house after dinner, the only transport being my motorbike, so I took one girl on the back whilst the others set off walking, the plan that I would go back, unfortunately the directions weren’t that good. The others rang to say they had been picked up by TDH (Terre Des Hommes), took us ages to find the place about 25 minutes arrived at half time in the Sweden game. Stayed there and watched Argentina too. Traveling through Ampara at night is odd, nobody about and no street lights. I am climbing the hill again this morning with Claire from TDH, need the exercise.

Badminton was a laugh, hotel only had three racquets and no shuttle, one of the racquets had several strings missing. I took a quick trip into town and managed to find a kids badminton set, two racquets but only one shuttle. When I went to check the court at the back of the hotel somebody had parked there! Why? So had to find the driver and move him. When we started the shuttle was too light so we put a weight in it. Then the kid’s racquets were too loosely strung so when you hit the shuttle it got stuck in the strings! I had some duck tape so put some across the strings and we managed to play. The sweat poured off us, Claudia, Ben, Sabina and I, it was good fun though.