Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Nintavur





This is the beach at Nintavur where I am working, about 300m from the office. I came to the beach at the weekend with some friends and these boys eventually joined us in the sea, wearing what they have on in the picture.
The tsunami damaged the beach and lots of homes, the picture on the left is of one house, the damage best seen when you are there, but it is just a shell as are lots of properties all along the coast line. It seems somehow wrong to photograph the damage so didn't take many pictures. It is after all somebodys home and represents their suffering.

Just spent the day getting used to my motorbike, had a general ride around Ampara, very quiet here, not like Colombo, I keep forgetting to cancel indicators. Still trying to find the office I will be working in on Monday, no luck so far, the name and numbering system here is a complete mystery, even to the locals. I have found the area, New Town and can find A400 and L 350 but am looking for A195/14 New Town, frustratingly have found all the other NGO’s. Nobody knows where the FCE office is and can just give me a square mile location. Looks like I will have to ring up on Monday or try a trishaw. I caught the sun on my hands and arms on the bike, less pollution here than Colombo so will have to be careful.
After breakfast had a last look for the FCE office and finally found it, I went down all the dirt roads and by chance stumbled on the office. Then spent half an hour going backwards and forwards to locate it, difficult with no reference points. Took a ride out to far side of lake and checked out large white stupor, evidently elephants go there at dusk so will check out again later. Quiet afternoon reading then off to wait for elephants, waited for an hour, quite a crowd in the end, alas no elephants. Ride back in pitch black with no road markings and cyclists with no lights made life interesting, also being splattered by insects made for a difficult journey.