Friday, August 11, 2006

Petrol shortage

Whilst Wendy, another VSO went on holiday I borrowed her bike as it is better than mine. She was away for 3 weeks, half way through I went and started my bike to check all ok, it was. I swapped back on Friday 11th and rode about a mile on my bike before it stopped dead. After several attempts to start it and advice from a crowd of trishaw drivers the problem was identified, no petrol! It had been half full when left next to the 24 hour security guard post at Wendy’s work place. Sod’s law then took control as I had just bought a phone card and a new lock for the locked shut wardrobe, so had no cash. A friendly trishaw driver picked up an empty bottle from the side of the road to put petrol in and we headed back to my house to get some cash. Got home to find no cash there so had to go to the bank. The cash machine at the bank I use was out of order, first time that’s happened. So then to another bank, doesn’t accept my cards then on to a 3rd bank and finally get some cash. On to a garage where we fill the whisky bottle with petrol and head back to my bike. This has taken half an hour and we have been all round Ampara, I was expecting a big trishaw bill, he only charged me 100 rupees!