Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Arrived in Sri Lanka

I flew into Colombo, capital of Sri Lanka this afternoon. this is the last job after emailing family and friends. I am staying fairly central next to a really picturesque lake.

We have got a full month of VSO training in language and cultural background, looking forward to it.

There are only four of us volunteers so very personal training, for me learning Tamil I am on my own with two teachers, so no excuse for not learning it!

Four is a small number and probably not ideal although it worked for us. A group of eight to twelve is I believe more usual. The initial experience can be intense so it is nice to have a choice of company and a variation between day and night. In a small group you tend to go out together rather than pair up or split up. As a volunteer you have no control over this really, but you can always ask how many will be in your intake.