Friday, July 28, 2006

Tsunami temple damage




What is left of a Hindu temple just North of Nintavur where I work. FCE, who I work for are rebuilding the temple. I went to see how the work was going. When I saw the tower and the lone statues I had to go back and take a photo. The temple and church rebuilding is being done courtesy of a grant from the Norwegian government.

For volunteers, when you start looking at who is working and funding projects in the developing world you uncover a whole new world. A lot of the funding in Sri Lanka comes from nations who eat lots of fish and have a fish economy. Japan is a main funder, Sri Lanka has a lot of fishing waters and most fish are sold fresh. The Japanese are helping develop infrastructure to facilitate freezing the fish and exporting them.